Thursday, July 1, 2010

Cooking and Procrastination: a fine combination

Lets face it, everyone has the desire to put off what needs to be done and everyone has their own way of doing this. Some need to find some other pressing tasks to start, others just need the internet or one of their favorite shows on TV. While this desire to procrastinate is within everyone, some suppress it entirely, others given into reason, and some find a happy balance. But there are a select few that have taken procrastination and turned it into an art form. They leave others shaking their head in bewilderment over their logic for putting of things that must be finished (often times sooner rather than later). These select few always have an excuse on hand as to why they can’t get to work and will argue tooth and nail with those with a higher level of common sense when it comes to getting things done over the validity of their argument. I am one of those select few that can put things of time and time again. Somehow despite my propensity for procrastination I have found myself somewhere closer to completing than starting my PhD in political science. (Just a bit more evidence that procrastination isn’t inhibiting to progress in life). Still, as I have continued to progress I find fewer and fewer people around me with the same desire to procrastinate. Suddenly I find myself surrounded by motivated people who don’t fully tolerate my bullshit answers as to why I can’t get to work. Looks of disapproval and public shaming (though not common) have deeply challenged my dedication to procrastination.

But fear not fellow procrastinators, there is a way to overcome this intense challenge to our way of life. If I don’t start my work and my only excuse is that I was tired and needed to catch up on sleep, or my favorite team was actually being televised I better be prepared for a challenge, but if I am cooking and more specifically cooking for others suddenly people are less willing to call me out. And I will let you in on an additional secret, while procrastination of any for has its own type of satisfaction; procrastination that ends in a great meal is far superior to many of the other methods of procrastination available to us. The key is to use that time when we should be working to treat ourselves and on occasion others as well. And the best part is cooking is truly a magnificent form of procrastination. It is flexible in how long it will take you away from your work, if your deadline is barely visible on the horizon or if there is no deadline at all, you can spend a full day cooking. If you need to get to work as soon as possible, but just can bring yourself to get started there are little dishes that take less than an hour or dishes that take long but give you windows to theoretically start or continue your work. For some those windows will be effectively used and for others (I speak from experience) they will turn into additional moments of putting off work. Yet no matter the situation, the result is good food, more procrastination and yet there is also the benefit of feeling that you have accomplished something.

Now that I have procrastinated my way through the first two steps of my PhD program: finishing the necessary course work, and passing my qualifying exams; I need to restart my dissertation prospects writing and defense preparation. Truly this is a daunting task and one that is ripe with setbacks. I have already had two ideas completely rejected and third questioned so thoroughly that it left me numb to academics for a few days. But these moments are not moments of self-pity, instead in the moments of shock that come with partial to full rejection of ideas are perfect moments to say “even though I need to get this done, I just can’t work right now, so let’s cook!” And that is what I am going to do, I am going to share the art of procrastination through cooking. Some entries/recipes will be for junior procrastinators and/or cooks, these generally don’t take to look to finish and don’t take a ton of skill in the kitchen. Others will be for experts, those willing to spend a full day not doing their work and those willing to possible try no things in the kitchen. And in the end, if my friends are any indication, those around you will end up thanking you for fulfilling your need to procrastinate rather than try to get you to change your ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment